So my family was nice to me today and let me go shoot a Tactical Match. I've shot plenty of Cowboy Action, "Urban Cowboy" (SASS shooting with modern pistol, pump shotgun, pistol caliber carbine) and IDPA. First time shooting AR15s and pistol in a match. Really learned a lot
It was a 200 round rifle, 100 round pistol match. 5 stages, all with mag retention (no dropping mags or you got a penalty), IDPA scoring and rules. Plenty of transitions between rifle and pistol (3X on one stage alone), some poppers and a mover, and one blind stage where we had to solve the problem without seeing the course of fire first. There were stages where we busted in doors and shot everyone inside (except...hopefully...the hostages) and others where we had to shoot on the move...no stopping to aim. Ranges in general were 10-25 yards for the rifle, however, one stage had little mini 10" IDPA targets set out at 25 yards...that felt like we were simulating 75 yard or more shots.
My equipment was my 18" AR (Spikes lower, BCM 18" SS barrel, YHM freefloat tube, BAD lever, EoTech, Vortex, PMags) and a M&P9. Blue Force Gear single point sling, MOLLE chest rig and mag pouches, dump pouch, Safariland holster, mag carriers.
Here's what I learned:
- The chest rig was entirely too hot. It was only in the low 80s but humid, so I got rid of it and mounted my rifle mag carriers and dump pouch on my belt
- I'm being entirely too accurate. I had nice tight groups and only dropped a few points the entire match but I was shooting probably 20% slower than guys who I judged to be my own skill level. At 1/2 second per dropped shot, I should have sped up a little and not put everything center of mass and shaved probably 5-10 seconds off my time
- The AR and M&P ran flawlessly the whole match. I had one bad round but fortunately my training kicked in and I didn't even look to see what was wrong. I had jacked a new round in the chamber even before I consciously knew what happened.
- The single point sling system sucks. The rifle bounces around entirely too much when on the move with a pistol. I'm gonna get a two or three point sling for the next time around.
- I didn't bring enough water. Next match will include a cooler full of Gatorade.
- Bug spray rocks. Sunscreen rocks. Folding chairs rock. Extra ammo rocks. Shooting lots rocks.
When I got home we took the kids out on the boat and then came home to grill steaks. Got a shirt from our Yacht Club and a coffee mug with my kids picture on it. Oh, and my youngest son made this Zombie target for us to take to the range next time we go.